Well-Worth Reading

No matter my personal politics, I fully agree with William Dereiewicz's essay about "the right side of history" and why it is such an unbearable phrase. I also utterly agree with his points about the disgusting use of apocalyptic language to try to motivate people and justify actions: "There is No Right Side of History."

And his book about Jane Austen is really good. 

* * *  

David French again! His five points in the following article are right on the mark: "Against the Extremism of the American Masculinity Debate".

I love when someone says succinctly and directly what I've been trying to say. 

My comment on "toxic masculinity"--

"Toxic masculinity" is such a vile phrase. Imagine if "toxic" was attached to any other generalized noun, such as "femininity" or "animal lovers" or "ballet dancers" or "crossing guards" or "classical music listeners."

* * *

What I love about Andrew Doyle is how generous he is with other people's motives--he is truly balanced and reasonable!


* * * 

 

I am not a fan of mixing my religion with politics. I don't make decisions about God based on politics--never have, never will. 

On occasion, this refusal has put me at odds with both sides of the political aisle. The message, "You're supposed to hate the world! You're supposed to embrace the appropriate political doomsdaying!" is intensely powerful from both sides

I read too much history--with all its mess and complications--to buy into the argument. Streamlined narratives continually miss the point.

So I don't make decisions about God based on what I suspect any deity worth worshiping perceives as so much dross. 

Consequently, I have been wary of reading David French, even though I very much enjoy his writing. 

This essay is well-worth passing on:

Commitment to Kindness

As Sharon says to Rusty, "Be kind and be safe." 

It's harder than it sounds. Honor may be an old-fashioned word. It still matters. 

No comments: